Wednesday, January 13, 2010

53 books down, 217 days to go!

Hey! It's Lizzy.
For my English class I had to read a historical fiction book and write about it on a homemade book mark. So for my project I decided to choose a book that would scare me, Before We Were Free. I really hate historical fiction books, but this wasn't so bad.
This book wasn't for boys (talks about first period, "growing up", and something like a first love) and it was a little frightening but you can't help but really feel for the main character, Anita.
Anita is living in the Dominican Republic in 1960 and 1961.
She is not free in her country and her father and uncle fight back, willing to get themselves killed for freedom of their country.
When all of her family moves away from her big housing complex she is alone until her "first love" moves in.
Then her sister is forced to move to the U.S. (illegally of course) because the leader El Jefe was a molester of young girls, and he had his eye on her. Then it's her brother's turn to leave.
Soon Anita was living in hiding at a friends home.
Eventually she makes it to the U.S. to get some horrible news.
Her father and uncle, who were being held in prison, were shot.

Well. That was grim.
As you can see, I write kind of choppy when I'm thinking about such disturbing things.
:)

American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating 1 olive from each salad served in first-class.

Love, Lizzy S. O_o

53 books down, 217 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment