Tuesday, December 21, 2010

58 books down, 221 days to go!

Sorry for my lack of reading!  Sophomore year appears to be harder than normal...!  I've read two books (I know, I'm super mad at myself!), Lord of the Flies for English class, and Defect, which I got from the library yesterday.
Lord of the Flies, which most students read sometime in their schooling careers, is about a group of school boys that get stranded on an island in the middle of a war.  Science fiction, actually, since, as my teacher discussed, the was basically outlines what would have happened if the Cold War became an actual battle.  This book discusses the nature of mankind, being both depressing and hopeful.  I enjoyed it, but I hated having to read it during school.
Defect, by Will Weaver, I finished in a few hours.  Small, but with an interesting storyline, reminding me sort of X-Men with its discussions on genetic defects.  David, a teenager with a genetic abnormality--to put it lightly--is trying to find a way to fit in, but his secret is coming out.  The one problem I had was the seemingly sudden discussion of Christianity, which I felt could have been added in a little more subtly.  Overall, not a bad story.
So, 58 books down, 221 days to go, and I promise I'll get caught up!

No comments:

Post a Comment