Saturday, June 25, 2011

147 books down, 72 days to go!

Three more books for Justi!
First, Dragon Slippers--basically, a little fairy-tale like story, featuring a strong female lead, a playful prince, a jealous princess, and, well...dragons, of course. Not the best; well, it kept me reading, but Creel's character didn't leave a lot for connecting with, and the prince could have done more, but the imagery of sewing--which I love reading about, just to let you know--made it all worth it.
Kira-Kira--it means 'glittering' in Japanese.  I first read this book in fourth grade, and immediately fell in love.  Katie looks up to her big sister Lynn; so much, in fact, that Lynn can do no wrong.  But in a time when Japanese-Americans struggle to survive, Katie must continue learning to see the world as glittering, when so much can go wrong.
Lastly, I read Dairy Queen.  I got this book years ago from an aunt, and never thought to read it--even now, I struggled some.  DJ is a farmgirl, used to doing what she's told.  But, one summer, she realizes how she's becoming just like the cows she's milking each day.  This book is fun, but the focus on football sort of lost me--I do go to games with the marching band, but I don't see the allure that tackling people has.

As always, more is coming!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment